The Opening ceremony of Tomsk Technological Institute
The first professors of the Institute
Tomsk Polytechnic University was founded in 1896 as the Tomsk Technological Institute of Emperor Nicholas II. The Siberian region was rich in minerals but it demanded infrastructure and professionals, who could cope with their extraction and processing. The idea of establishing an independent institute in Tomsk belonged to Count Sergey Yulievich Witte, Minister of Finance of the Russian Empire.
A great contribution to the institute development was also made by the brilliant chemist Dmitry Mendeleev, who was a member of the committee developing the project for the institute construction. In 1904, Dmitry Mendeleev became the first honorary member of the institute. The first technical higher educational institution in the Asian part of Russia was headed by Professor Efim Zubashev, who laid the foundation for TTI as a major Siberian academic and research center.